Sunday, September 14, 2014

Money Is Not Power

This is a short post describing an epiphany I had the other day. It all started off when I woke up from a dream. The only thing I could remember was that the currency was measured in severed foreheads per second. It gave me a good chuckle but led to another thought: what if we actually measured money as a time-dependent value? I realized that occasionally we do, e.g. I make $10/hour.

In correlation to this, I realized that the old saying money is power was not true. Power is a time-dependent value while money is not. To make a correct analogy, money would have to be matched with energy.


But I thought to myself, why can't we make a unit of money over time? So I propose the salarant. It is the equivalent of one dollar per hour. I don't know if it would exactly fall under the SI units (they'd probably use Euros), but I think we can make it work. Money per hour is power.

1 comment:

  1. There is a whole discipline within economics that contemplates some of these precise matters. Lots of high falutin' thinkers have been ruminating about this for a very long time. Money is only a storage/exchange mechanism. It simply represents something. It doesn't even necessarily represent the same thing to different people. But it is often one of the methods people use to demonstrate power. Money also changes value over time (even second by second) on multiple levels, so it too is time dependent.

    ReplyDelete